High House is situated at the head of the popular valley of Borrowdale in
the English Lake District, OS Grid Reference NY235119 -
see map. It offers a high standard of
bunkhouse/hostel self catering accommodation, and is considered to be the best
in the Lakes. It is a converted stone built 16/17C farmhouse in its own
grounds, with car access and parking. As well as walking and climbing clubs,
High House is regularly used by outdoor educational groups, and corporate groups
for seminar use.
Early booking is essential due to the popularity of the facility, especially
at week-ends. To this end, the booking calendar is open for the current year,
plus the following year. The year after that will not be available until the
December of the current year. Please note that High House is now a no smoking
building. Safety checks are carried out routinely on the building, and
certificates issued are available for inspection by asking the Booking Secretary
Only 3 weekends now
available in 2014
FROM USERS:. Feel free to tell us about your stay at High
House. See what previous users think
ACCOMMODATION: (Click on links
to view) External
- Dormitory 1
- 18 beds + toilet, washbasin, shower
- Dormitory 2
- 8 beds + toilet, washbasin, shower
- Dormitory 3
- Drying Room
- Common Room
- Stove, Easy Chairs, Dining Area, Library
- Kitchen - Recently upgraded
- Double oven with grill
- Size of top oven = 16" wide x 15" deep x 6" high
- Size of bottom oven = 16" wide x 15" deep x 8.5" high
- Electric hob with 4 electric rings
- Full range of Utensils, Crockery, Cutlery
- Plumbed-in water heater for hot drinks
PLANNING YOUR VISIT:
Although we provide the facilities and items
above, you will need to provide the following :-
- Sleeping bags or duvets
- Tea towels
- First aid kit - there is none at High House
- Food. Buying food and drink in the valley will
help the local economy. Basics such as milk are available from the cafe in Rosthwaite, and
there is a large
Booths supermarket in Keswick.
- If another group has booked the previous night, please arrange your
arrival at High House to be around tea time to avoid contention.
There is no phone at High House, and poor mobile
reception. There is however a land line at Seathwaite.
Booking High House gives you the use of the premises, without other clubs
sharing with you.
However, there may be occasions when club members use the members room.
Washing up liquid is provided. Please use this and
no other to ensure proper functioning of the septic tank.
Visitors to High House may bring dogs with them. but please note that they are only
allowed in the common room, and they must sleep outside the building.
Due to the terms of our lease with the National Trust, we regret that camping
is not allowed at High House.
Due to problems in the past, we request that you do not use candles, or fry
- The cost per night of High House is £135 for 2013,
and £140 for 2014, (subject to a
review each December), irrespective of numbers, and includes
electricity for cooking, water heating, and lighting; gas for cooking; and solid fuel for
- The cost per night for mid-week bookings is open to negotiation depending
on the number of mid-weeks booked.
- If booking a Friday and Saturday, the Sunday night may be booked for an
additional £65 during 2013, and £70 during 2014, subject to a review each December.
Other adjacent nights, if available, can be negotiated.
- The Minimum booking at weekends is for 2 nights. For mid-week
bookings, single nights are possible.
- A firm booking will be made on receipt of a £40 per night deposit (£80 for
a weekend), non-returnable on
cancellation unless the dates become re-booked.
- The balance is payable 2 weeks prior to occupation.
Cheques payable to 'K Fellfarers'. We also require a cheque for £50 as a key deposit. The
key will be despatched on receipt of both the balance and the key deposit cheques. The key
deposit cheque will be destroyed if High House is left in a clean and tidy
state, and the key is returned safely to us.
HUT BOOKING SECRETARY:
Hugh Taylor, Briarcliffe, Carr Bank Road, Carr bank, Milnthorpe,
Cumbria LA7 7LE
Tel: 01524 762 067
E-mail inquiries to Hugh Taylor via